Friday, September 16, 2011

Arrivals...There goes the neighborhood

When Christopher Columbus arrived at North America he believed he had landed in India and so that's how we originally got the name Indian for the Native Americans from a long time ago. The story or writing that my English 2 class used for Christopher Columbus made him seem like a good person. He seemed to me to be just a possibly young explorer who wanted only to explore and make discoveries. Then all of this changed when my teacher showed my class a part of the writing that was left out that exposed what his real intentions were. I don't understand how he can just appear in some place that he doesn't know too much about and then thinks that he can just do whatever they want with the natives there. I would never imagine do something like that to a person, thinking they are just for the taking like they are just an object. Christopher Columbus destroyed the native Americans way of life, because of greed. They had everything going fine for them because they worked with nature to survive, but just like that, because of 1 man they ended up being murdered and had their land taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment